Carnivorous Plants/P. Gigntea dormancy

P. Gigantea
P. Gigantea  

P. Gigantea
P. Gigantea  
Hello. I have a P. Gigantea. It was won in a raffle with succulent leaves still on the plant. I live in San Jose, California. I was wondering when I should clip off the succulent leaves and start watering it more.

I'm a bit confused by your question.  Your plant is in active growth, so you can start watering it now.  It's also not at all necessary to clip off the leaves.  When the plant goes dormant in late winter and early spring, the larger leaves will naturally die off.  The plant will then form a rosette of smaller leaves.  

For now follow our recommended growing instructions outlined in our care sheet for Mexican butterworts:

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!