Carnivorous Plants/S.minor rumors

Hi I recently ordered a S.minor from you guys to add to my collection here in P.R. I assumed the care was the same as other temperate cps and as I already have had cold hardy cps for a few years ordered the plant ,but doing some research i have read that s.minor likes to be on the drier side compared to others sarracenias or it just rots and dies is this true?

Well, if the rumors were true, then all of our Sarracenia minor would have died off completely by now.  We care for them exactly the same way as other Sarracenia in our collection.  They all sit in water.

The problem that other growers may have had likely wasn't because of the plant being too wet.  It may have been to some other cultural problem, such as not enough sunlight, not providing enough winter protection, not dividing large clumps, etc.  I can't say why those growers had trouble with their Sarracenia minor since I don't know the specifics of their growing conditions.  All I can say is that we keep our Sarracenia minor in standing water and haven't seen any deterioration because of it.  I will say the rumor is false or at least a red herring to another problem.

Sarracenia minor loves warm weather during the growing season.  It should grow well for you this summer in Puerto Rico!

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!