Carnivorous Plants/sarracenia

QUESTION: i was wondering if letting a small or medium sized sarracenia pitcher plant bloom would prevent it from growing as much or hurt it?

ANSWER: As long as you're following the recommended care instructions, growing your plant outdoors in full sun (6 or more hours of direct sunlight), allowing your Sarracenia to flower will not at all harm it or slow down its leaf production.  Problems occur when growers grow their plant indoors where lighting is inadequate and the plant is weakened from low light conditions.  

With that said, if you also have a newly divided plant, you should cut off the flower during the first season after division.  This will allow the plant to focus putting more energy in leaf production and repairing the rhizome damage.  After the initial season, then you can allow the plant to flower.  Keep in mind that if you choose to let your plant flower during the first season after division, your plant will still grow fine.  It will simply have fewer leaves than usual.  

For more information about caring for Sarracenia, read our care sheets on our main website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: I just got a medium and small sarracenia from you guys, if I let them flower could it hurt them?

Hi Dillon,

As Jacob mentioned, it won't kill them, but depending on the species, it will slow them down.  Most Sarracenia we send out this time of year are recent divisions, so I recommend cutting the flowers off.  After this season, however, it's fine to let them bloom.  It's one of the true joys of growing Sarracenia since their flowers are so beautiful.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!