Carnivorous Plants/Sudden Decline in Alice Sundew

Unhappy Alice Sundew
Unhappy Alice Sundew  

Unhappy Alice Sundew 2
Unhappy Alice Sundew 2  
After a recent disruptive move, my plants seem to have adjusted and are for the most part doing well.  One plant, however--a Drosera Aliciae--seems to suddenly be unhappy.  I noticed that the newest rosette of leaves are stunted and not fully developed.  The plant was in the process of putting out a flower stalk, but now it seems as if the flower stalk has stopped developing.  The older leaves still looked to be in decent condition, with a reasonable amount of dew, however.  Based on my past experience in problems with other plants, I considered the possibility that fungus gnat larvae might be causing problems, so I sprayed the plant with systemic insecticide.  The short-term effect of that is that some of the older leaves have lost their dew.  The plant is growing close to a large, northeast facing window, but it also receives copious light from a T5HO fixture.  The Alice sundew sits right next to some Cape sundews and fork-leafed sundews, and they are all thriving; particularly with the Cape sundews, I thought that the Alice sundew likes pretty much the exact same growing conditions.  I use distilled water only for these plants.  I'm not sure what's going on; any advice you could provide would be appreciated.

While both aliciae and capensis have similar growing conditions, aliciae is more temperamental of the two.  It really prefers very stable conditions.  Anytime you disrupt its environment, it seems to express its extreme displeasure!  So all the symptoms you're seeing could be attributed to the move.  I've seen this in my own collection.

Fungus gnats could also be a problem, and spraying your plant was a good idea.  For now, you simply have to wait.   You could also try moving the plant off to the side where it could get slightly less light.  This will cool down leaves slightly to encourage larger leaves.  (Like capensis, this species will produce smaller leave when the temperature increases.)  Everything else is good, so it's a matter of giving your plant more time, possibly up to a couple months.  This is how long it usually takes for the plant to acclimate to drastic changes.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!