Carnivorous Plants/what type of nepenthes is this and if a nep miranda is a lowlander or highlander

I have 2 nepenthes one is a huge Miranda one and I was wondering if it was a lowlander or highlander. I also have another nep and its small with wavy leaves and green and reddish brown pitchers and I was wondering if you knew what kind it is thank you.

Hi Rachel,

Nepenthes x miranda is a hybrid between Nepenthes northiana and Nepenthes maxima.  Most Maxima forms are highland, and Northiana is a lowlander.  It's temperature tolerance is that of an intermediate, but it tends to like it warm.  I find they are happiest when they don't drop below 70 degrees, but will tolerate lower.  They just won't grow much.

I can't help you with your other plant unless you supply a photo.  Nepenthes just look too similar from plant to plant.  Even then it will be my best guess.  If the plant is of hybrid ancestry it's super hard to know what it is unless you have some history on the plant.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!