Carnivorous Plants/vft flower producing traps

I have had my vft for about six months. i don't know what type specifically because i bought it at a local supermarket. it sits in a west window, and i water it with distilled water. i feed it tiny bits of chicken one every two weeks or so. it has been doing well so far, but now it has produced to flower stalks. one bloomed and died because it was not pollinated and i did not know you could propagate it that way. the other stalk bloomed, but instead of dying, it has started producing tiny traps of it's own, about three or four. what do i do now? i couldn't find any mention of this happening on other websites. do i leave it and let it grow or cut it and plant it in another pot? thank you for your help.

Hi Tiffany,

What you're observing with your flytrap is something know as vegetative apomixis.  It can happen in many plants, but often occurs in Venus flytraps and some sundews when they've not had adequate dormancy.  It can have some odd effects on the plant.

What you can do is either leave the plantlet to develop, then remove it and pot it up, or cut the flower stalk off.  It's not uncommon for the mother plant to die when you leave the plantlet to develop, but it doesn't always.  It just depends on your overall growing conditions.

Depending on where you live in Washington, the Venus flytrap will do best long-term as an outdoor container plant.  Even under the best conditions, Venus flytraps tend to live only a year or two indoors due to lack of dormancy, and inadequate light.  If you're in Western Washington, it's definitely best to grow it outdoors, and if you're in Eastern Washington it would benefit from being outdoors during the summer.  The Venus Flytrap is a USDA Zone 8a perennial, similar to many locations in the Pacific Northwest.  Here's a link to more growing information:  You have to take similar precautions that you would with any potted perennial (such as Lavender, lilies etc...) during the winter.  Much more specific, hands-on information can be found in our volume #1 DVD,

One last note.  Be very careful with feeding the plant any kind of meat.  Often you'll get away with doing that a few times, but if the plant isn't able to digest it, you can get a fungal infection that will progress and kill the plant.  It's much better to feed them insects.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!