Carnivorous Plants/Capensis

My drosera capensis alba is growing under fluorescent  15 watt bulbs and is sitting in water. Lately it has declined in speed of growth  and dew. The soil looks really worn and I have never repotted it, so I am sure it needs to be repotted please tell me if I am wrong Thankyou!

Your plant looks healthy.  This species prefers very bright cool conditions because it comes a mountainous region in South Africa.  As we transition into the summer months and the weather warms up, this plant will naturally slow down and reduce dew production.  This is normal and unavoidable.  It happens to us whenever the weather heats up.  In fall, winter, and early spring, this species look fantastic.  For now, your plant is fine and going through it's natural response to the change in season.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!