Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Filiformus Tracyi

Question
My Drosera Filiformus Tracyi, in the original 3" pot went into hibernation and never came out. It is a small brown lump with stubby remnants of stems. This had the same light conditions as the other green tag plants have, and the others are all doing very well. These plants get 6 to 8 hours of light a day. All my plants use my water from a reverse osmosis filter. They were outside until the ground started freezing then placed in the garage. They have been back outside after it stopped freezing (2 months?). The curious thing to note is that My daughter 8 doors up from me on the same street had the same thing happen to her Drosera Filiformus Tracyi also!

Answer
The dewthreads are capable of overwintering outdoors, which they do so at our nursery in Oregon.  We will typically get down to 20F each winter, and they come back each year.  It's not at all necessary to bring them indoors unless your winters gets much colder than 20F.  The idea of protecting them from deep freezes or prolonged freezes is to prevent dehydration or freeze drying.  

While you can bring them indoors for the winter, the plant becomes prone to fungal infections.  Dewthreads are particularly prone to fungal infections during their dormancy because of how they form their resting bud. However, rain will normally wash away fungal and mold spores and offer the plant a natural protection.

If you choose to bring your plant indoors, such as a garage, it's always a good idea to spray all plants with a sulfur-based fungicide.  With stagnant air, moist soil, and no rain, all plants become prone to fungus and mold.  It's also important to check on plants periodically for signs of an infection.  

Our tracyi had emerged from dormancy in mid April, so your plant should be out of dormancy by now.  Unfortunately, the likely culprit could have been mold or fungus.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest