Carnivorous Plants/helping a sundew recover

I received a drosera intermedia "cuba" and the sundew does not have any dew.  The trap parts of the leaves are pressed against the dirt and most of them are browning.  For growth I have a windowsill, a terrarium, and the temperatures outside are in the mid 70's for a high.  Could you offer some suggestions on how to help this plant recover?
Thank you

The growth habits of the tropical form of intermedia is different than the temperate form.  The temperate form tends to have more upright leaves.  With the tropical form, the leaves are initially upright.  As the plant matures, the leaves drape down to the soil and die off.  This is normal and unavoidable.  The leaves only last for a couple months.

Sunlight is also a factor with dew production.  Your intermedia should be red if it's getting enough sunlight.  It's not at all necessary for this species to be in a terrarium.  As you've discovered, higher humidity doesn't translate to dewy leaves.  Sunlight is a critical factor, more important than humidity.  We grow the temperate form outdoors, and they're very dewy right now.  

My recommendation is to remove your plant from the terrarium and place it in a very sunny windowsill with gets several hours of direct sunlight.  This plant appreciates lots of bright lighting.

For more information about growing tropical sundews, watch Volume 2 of the Grow Carnivorous Plants DVD series.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!