Carnivorous Plants/Hummer's Giant what going on?

cephalotus plant
cephalotus plant  

Hummers giant
Hummers giant  

I replanted this plant in January after the 21st.  I did give a superthrive bath for about 30minutes. Since repotting this plant there has not been any growth activity.  Any suggestions as to why the plant is not growing.  The other Cephalotus, grew as soon as I changed the lighting to 12 hours.  I have attached a 2 photos let me know if you need more information.

Growth information:
Lighting= 9hours for 3 weeks from Jan 21st to Feb 15. Than gradually to 12hours at the March 21st. --40 watts tubes.

Water= Distilled, watered it for one day. Might have made the mistake of giving the plant to much water. ( any suggestions to combat root rot).   Thanks

Soil = standard mix for this plant 2 parts perlite , 1 part peat

Something is going on with the roots because the plant is showing signs of root rot.  It could be bacterial it could be fungal.  You'll need to change the soil again.  When you do so, spray the plant with fungicide as recommended in our video podcast.

After repotting your plant, keep the soil slightly on the dry side.  Top water the plant only when the top soil feels dry.  Cephalotus prefers damp soil that dries out occasionally.  With this plant, it's best to err on the side of being too dry than being too wet.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!