Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes

Question
Rust spots
Rust spots  
Hi
My nepenthes Spectabilis Ventricosa that has been growing in my terrarium in a peat, perlite LFS moss mix has developed some reddish spots on the under side of Its bottom leaves. I am pretty sure they are rust spots and I was hoping you could tell me how to get rid of them. Thank you!

Answer
Rust spots is a type of fungal infection.  It's very benign and doesn't at all affect the plant's health.  It's regarded as a cosmetic issue.  It occurs when microscopic damage happens to the leaf, such as trauma, age, or insects.  It also happens mostly to older leaves rather than younger leaves.  The fungus causes red pigments to show up.  Once it occurs, the damage is permanent.  There is no treatment to reverse the red pigments.  Think of it like a scar.  You can spray your plant with a fungicide to prevent future rust spots, but it's something that you'll likely need to do weekly.  For the most part, we regard rust spots as inevitable during the life cycle of a Nepenthes.  Again, it doesn't affect the health of the plant in any manner.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest