Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes

Rust spots
Rust spots  
My nepenthes Spectabilis Ventricosa that has been growing in my terrarium in a peat, perlite LFS moss mix has developed some reddish spots on the under side of Its bottom leaves. I am pretty sure they are rust spots and I was hoping you could tell me how to get rid of them. Thank you!

Rust spots is a type of fungal infection.  It's very benign and doesn't at all affect the plant's health.  It's regarded as a cosmetic issue.  It occurs when microscopic damage happens to the leaf, such as trauma, age, or insects.  It also happens mostly to older leaves rather than younger leaves.  The fungus causes red pigments to show up.  Once it occurs, the damage is permanent.  There is no treatment to reverse the red pigments.  Think of it like a scar.  You can spray your plant with a fungicide to prevent future rust spots, but it's something that you'll likely need to do weekly.  For the most part, we regard rust spots as inevitable during the life cycle of a Nepenthes.  Again, it doesn't affect the health of the plant in any manner.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!