Carnivorous Plants/Net Pots for Nepenthes

Hi Jacob,

I'm planning to repot my nepenthes since they've been in the same pots for almost three years. I've been thinking about using net pots for the nepenthes because I researched that they allow better water evaporation and cooling during night time temperatures, and allow the soil to have more oxygenation in it. Are these benefits true? Also My N. Rajah is in a 6 inch pot and has raveled many new leaves since then. Should I bump up the pot size or just change the soil?

As always, thank you for your help.

We've experimented with netted pots for Nepenthes.  Frankly, we didn't see any significant difference in growth.  Nepenthes soil is already very airy, and there gets a point where increasing aeration doesn't matter.  It's not a linear relationship.  When people see a surge of growth when first using netted pots, they mistakenly assume that the netted pots were the reason.  Simply repotting plants to fresh media is the real reason, regardless of the pot (assuming the pot has drainage holes).  So given the extra expense of the netted pots and the lack of significant difference in growth, netted pots are not cost effective.  

With your rajah, it depends.  Does it look too large for the pot it's in?  Is the soil looking "bad?"  Are you seeing a sudden die off of leaves?  These are the reasons why you may want to change the soil or increase the pot size.  It's a judgement call on your part.  I prefer to fix things only when they need fixing.  If you want to freshen the soil to prevent diseases, you can do so.  Again, this is a judgement call.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!