Carnivorous Plants/p. primulflora

I'm one of those you had advised to submerge pinquicula primulflora up to the leaves for winter. I just want to report back.
While the main, center plant died, the plantlets around the outside are doing fine and growing. I also had one in the refrigerator and one buried under mulch outside. Those two didn't make it.
  Also, are any carnivorous plants strong enough to be placed in a  western window and take the heat of the setting sun?

Hi Craig,

You corresponded with Jeff.  He's not available for a while, so I'm taking over until he gets back.  I'm assuming that when you say you were reporting back that you didn't intend for a response.  Since I don't know the details of your situation, you will need to wait until June when Jeff will be back to respond.

In regards to heat of a west window, many sundews and Nepenthes will grow there.  For starters, you can grow any of the pygmy sundews, wooly sundews, Drosera multifida, Drosera spatulata, Nepenthes sanguinea, Nepenthes ventricosa, Nepenthes Miranda.  Many Mexican butterworts will also grow well there.  There are many more, but the list is too long to convey in this format.  

Plants to avoid in a hot west window are Drosera adelae, Drosera aliciae, Drosera venusta, Drosera regia, and ultrahighland Nepenthes.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!