Carnivorous Plants/Soil Erosion

Soil Erosion
Soil Erosion  
So we recently had pretty heavy rains and some of my sarracenias experienced some soil erosion in pots. I just ordered more soil from you guys but it probably won't arrive until next Friday. I've attached a photo of what they look like. I do see one exposed root. Are they ok to wait a week for more soil or should I look for a more immediate fix?

Oh, I feel your pain.  We also experience soil erosion from heavy rain and hail.  This season, we finally got smart.  We built temporary shelters over our sales plants.  When I see rain or hail in the forecast, I cover the plants with plastic sheets.  You can see what we did in our April podcast.  This has saved us tons of headache.

Your plants should be OK until soil arrives.  To prevent the roots from dehydrating, keep your pots in standing water.  Use wads of paper towel as your temporary soil. Stuff the wads on the top of the soil to fill up the pots.  This will keep your plants happy until your soil arrives.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!