Carnivorous Plants/Water filtering for VFTs and Sarracenia

I water my VFTs and Sarracenia via the water standing in shallow dishes. Unfortunately, now that the weather is getting hotter, I need to fill the dishes on an almost daily basis. That means going through a gallon or so if distilled water on a daily basis, which becomes rather expensive.

My water comes from a deep well and it contains a fair amount of iron sulphide. I am in the Willamette Valley.

My testing equipment says that the TDS is 50-55 ppm, possibly OK for Sarracenia, but probably too high for VFTs.

I have an ion exchange resin that reduces the TDS to about 10 ppm (as NaCl). I am assuming this means that sodium is being exchanged with the dissolved metallic solids in the water.

My question is, would this be safe for my plants? If so, should I top water or can I continue with bottom watering?

Your well water is at the upper range for what we determine as safe levels for long term care of carnivorous plants.  You can use your well water, but I recommend only top watering your plants and not allowing them to sit in water.  This might mean, however, watering your plants daily during the summer.  You can set your plants up on a drip system to make this easier for you.  You should still flush your pots with distilled water monthly to remove excess minerals.

Avoid using your water softener.  The sodium is toxic to plants of all types.  It's safe to use in homes because sodium doesn't accumulate in pipes the way calcium does.  But you should avoid using it on plants.

Since you live in Oregon, come out to our open house in July.  Details are on the website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!