Carnivorous Plants/Cobra plants and cobra lillies

I was researching the next to find examples of both the Darlingtonias as well as the other cobra plant that has the bad smell to attract flies, and all I could find is an article like this: which sounds like they are the same plant.

Are they the same plant or is there a different species, and I just haven't found it in the web yet?

Hi John,

Here lies the problem with common names for plants.  They are not the same plant.  I prefer to use the term Cobra Plant when referring to Darlingtonia californica, which is a true carnivorous plant.  They are not a lily or even vaguely related to them.  Here's the other group of plants that shares this name:  These are Jack-in-the-Pulpit relatives, and they are not carnivorous.  This plant family is much more closely related to lilies, and is a woodland wildflower.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!