Carnivorous Plants/Insect eating Sarracenia pitchers

S. flava  var. rubricorpora
S. flava var. rubrico  

S. alata \'Night\'
S. alata 'Night'  
Hey guys!

I recently moved some of my Sarracenia to a sunnier spot in my yard to see if I could color them up a little more, but I ran into an unexpected problem. Bugs! Something(s) have been eating the pitchers of my plants. It's not species specific, as I've noticed holes in my S. flavas, S. leucophylla, and S. alata. Do you have any idea what it might be and how I can control it? It seems to either happen over night when I'm asleep or during the day when I'm at work.

For reference, I live in South Mississippi in S. alata country.

Thanks so much!

Hi Connor,

This is being done by a snail or slug.  Go out at night and take a look, and you'll probably catch your offender.  I can see the slime trails on the lower photo, and they will definitely cause this kind of damage.

First see if you can figure out where they are hiding, then use a low tox baiting such as beer traps or an iron phosphate bait such as Sluggo.  Getting the plants up off the ground will also help quite a bit.  If you're having a hard time getting them I've also had good luck with taking a small piece of plastic (like a pot tag) or wood and laying it across the top of the pots.  On that put a small amount of liquid bait such as Deadline.  Be sure if you do this, it's not where pets or other animals can get to it, but it does work well to catch a sneaky one that may be hiding among the plants.

One last note, on the top photo, try to see if you can watch on a day your not at work to see if any caterpillars might be present.  That damage looks a bit more like it might be insect.  Those you can usually just pull off manually then feed them to Venus Flytraps. :)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!