Carnivorous Plants/Pitcher Plant care

I bought this Pitcher @June 1st at New Orleans orchid show.  Can I keep it outdoors in this hot humidity?  Or will it thrive better inside?  Right where I took the photo it automatically turns every few minutes, gets some direct sun, hanging under trellis on south side of house.  I water every day, unless it rains.

In addition, do I need to put water in existing AND new pitchers?

Hi Matt,

This location looks fine for summer.  Your plant is a Nepenthes "deRooses Alata", which is N. (alata x ventricosa)x alata.  They are a vigorous grower, and a great first time Nepenthes. It should be able to stay in this location until late fall, or whenever your temperatures start approaching the 40's, then it will need to come indoors.  Nepenthes originate from Southeast Asia, mostly Indonesia and Mayalasia, and are quite used to hot, humid weather.

If you lost the fluid in pitchers during transport it is helpful to put some water in the pitchers, but you should only need to do that once.  New pitchers produce their own fluid, and if the plant is able to get rain, that will take care of the pitchers naturally.  The lids keep most of the rain out, but a little gets in.  Here's a link to some general growing information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!