Carnivorous Plants/Pitchers falling over

Falling PItcher
Falling PItcher  
Hi, both my Leucophyllias seem to have pitchers that are falling over for some reason. They're both relatively young (one is a small and a medium that I ordered through you guys) is this something expected or am I doing something wrong? I'm in nyc so the water is soft (~20ppm) and they get around 8 hours of direct sunlight (11am-7pm). They did go through a couple bouts of severe soil erosion to the extent that I had to semi repot them so I just want to be sure that the falling pitchers are to be expected given the circumstances. Pictures of one included!

Hi Andrew,

I know you say that the plant is getting around 8 hours of sun, but everything I see in your photo looks like low light.  Long wispy pitchers and lack of color are dead giveaways. Is there anything that shades this balcony at times such as a big overhang, or other buildings?  The only thing I can recommend if this is your only location is to put them further out on the balcony so that they are getting more sun, and not shaded by any overhangs or awnings.  Also, Sarracenia leucophylla will produce phyllodia (non-carnivorous leaves) in the mid summer when it really hot, and then produce nice big pitchers in the late summer and fall when the weather cools some.  This may be part of what you're seeing too.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!