Carnivorous Plants/Recommendation for my first carnivorous

Yes, I have read your website and watched your podcasts. Yes I am a plant enthusiast. I would like a recommendation for my first carnivorous. This is where it will live:
Gray Tn - indoors
East facing window
Bright sun til 2pm then filtered til dark
68 degrees 50 to 85 percent humidity all summer
74 degrees 30 to 50 percent humidity all winter
I will have to use distilled or rain water my city water is harsh
Would like to receive plant this winter during dormancy
Looking for a brighter color medium to small size
I do know that fly traps and north amer pitchers are not an option and I think my growing conditions are backwards sunlight vs temp vs humidity
I know this might be out of the range of your questions and therefore I appreciate any time you care to spend on it.

Hi Angela,

Take a look at our tropical plant section.  Many different plants there would be happy in your sunny East window.  Some of my top recommendations would be Cape Sundews, King Sundews, Mexican butterworts, and Nepenthes hybrids.  The choice now is more on what appeals to you as far as something you would like.  None of these plants have a dormancy to be concerned about.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!