Carnivorous Plants/rosetted sundew

First of all, thank you for answering my question about the intermedia sundew.  It was very informative and helpful.  I have another question.  My drosera coccicaulis is producing little or no dew.  I have placed it outside in full sun.  My current outside growing conditions are low 80's with low humidity.  However, this is not typical for my area.  It is typically hotter and more humid.  It seems like the sundew produces dew in the morning outside and also when it is inside.  Should I keep the sundew inside in my terrarium or continue to keep it outside?  

Earlier you said that I should put my drosera intermedia inside in the terrarium and punch holes in the bag until it is like swiss cheese.  If I do this, then the humid air of the terrarium will just flow into the bag.  I don't understand how that will help the plant to adapt to lower humidity.

Hello Caleb,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I do not intend for the sundew to be in the terrarium. My understanding is that it is already out of the terrarium in a pot ouside. Just place a plastic bag over the pot and then place the pot where it will get bright, but cool light so it will not cook while inside the bag.

Was the D. coccicaulis recently moved or has it been in that one spot cosistently for a period of time? Once you have a good spot for it, try to keep the plant there until conditions begin to change beyond the plant's tolerance, as with tropicals oudoors in a temperate region coming up on winter. If you recently moved the plant, there are likely light, humidity, and temperature issues associated with the move. In addition, since it is now outside, always keep an eye out for pests.

In any event, place the plant where it does best as that is where it has adapted most succesfully. The problem with terraria for plants that really do not need them is that they keep plants from obtaining higher levels of light and thay harbor mold due to stagnant air. If possible, just place the plants open pot in a window once you are assured that they are adapted well to the conditions your placing them in. As long as the conditions are within the plant's tolerance limits, and as long as the plant is not constantly being shocked by rapid changes, it should be fine.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.