Carnivorous Plants/VFT flowering/seeds

I have dozens of VFT's in my collection.  I live in SD, and i grow them in an equal part of perlite/peat moss, with a little silica sand mixed in as well.  The only seeds that i can get to germinate and grow are from the pure VFT, not any of the exotics (royal red, colorado giant, bigmouth, b 52, etc) are these varities not able to germinate?  should i just clip the flowers right away? should i keep the different varities separate to avoid cross polination?  or should i just buy the seeds from you guys? :)

Hi Darren,

What I suspect is happening here is that the cultivars are all genetically identical, so they may not be viable with each other within the same cultivar.  I know if you cross two different ones they are definitely viable.  We've done that along with many other growers.

What you should do depends on what you want.  If you let insects open pollinate the flowers of different varieties you could end up with some very interesting plants.  If you only want pure varieties, then yes, there's no point in letting them bloom unless you just like the flowers.

I also wanted to ask if you were sowing seeds immediately from all you collected?  Venus flytraps have a very short seed viability.  It's usually just 90 days unrefrigerated, and about a year refrigerated.

You might direct this question here also:  These folks really know their flytraps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!