Carnivorous Plants/insecticide

Hello! Lately I've been seeing fungus gnats in the soil from the pots of my nepenthes. I bought an insecticide who's main ingredients are pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide. I watched your video on insecticides and I know that pyrethrins are safe to use. Is this insecticide still safe to use on my nepenthes if it has piperonyl butoxide in it?

Hi Victor,

Most formulations with Pyrethrins contain Piperonyl butoxide, and it is a synergist that helps the Pyrethrins be more effective.  It is totally safe on the plants.

Another, lower toxicity way to kill fungus gnats is to use BTI dunks or granules in your water for the plants.  BTI spores are very specific to fly/mosquito species and kill the larvae.  It is completely harmless to other insects and animals.  We use BTI mosquito dunks routinely in the summer in our Sarracenia pools, and in our Nepenthes house during the winter.  For just a few plants you could just keep a watering can with a dunk in it, then water your Nepenthes with it.  The Fungus gnats should disappear in about two weeks.  You can use sundews or sticky traps to catch the adult insects.  Here's an example of this product:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!