Carnivorous Plants/Lets save a Dionaea from the tropical heat (Puerto Rico)

Hello my name is Gabriel =)

I live in Puerto Rico and i have a dionaea which i have to put into hibernation because here no snow, it's always hot and i need to save my plant is my responsibility if i dont i would probably cry a lot.

Chris was very helpful. But i would like a second opinion.

*I've seen videos on youtube where they put the plant in the fridge, that would help?

Chris says: Some people use refrigerators, but I do not trust that method as refrigerators do not provide any light and can dry out anything left inside. Venus Flytraps need moisture and some light as well as air movement so that they have a more "natural" environment to work with. A good compromise is an ice chest with cold packs or frozen water bottles. I use the ice chest in winter and just place the entire pot inside with ice or cold packs around the pot all night. In daytime, I open the chest and replace the ice to keep the temperature low and just leave the ice chest open all day in a place with some indirect light for a few hours. This requires more work, but it has kept my one Venus Flytrap alive for over 7 years and it has by now been divided into over 30 separate plants (with some seeds thrown in for good measure). A good time to begin dormancy would be in October to November. Take the plant out of cold conditions after February and place it in progressively longer lit days each week until it is back in full sun conditions all day.

Me: Sounds like a plan !!

What do you think?

My concern is.... if i grab the plant where it usually lives in a warm place like a tropical, and put on ice the sudden change can kill her ? How i can slowly bring slowly to a climate change so the plant dont get a shock..i guess...

Should buy a thermometer?

Hi Gabriel,

I saw this question got sent to the question pool.  Did you ever get the help you needed with this?  If not, do a follow-up, and I'll see if I can help you out.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!