Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Glabrata

Hi again thanks for answering my previous question of the yellowing leaves. The pant is under a tree with dappled light. I bought this plant from a reputable grower, but I am no longer sure if this is a glabrata anymore. The lower pitchers( has hairy wings) look nothing like what I've seen in pictures. They look like upper pitchers with the hair on the wings but withought the red coloration.  The pitchers are a yellow green color and theres a basal growing in.So my question would be is this a glabrata and if it is what's wrong with it? Thanks

Hi Ian,

It's possible that it's not N. glabrata, but it might just be cultural conditions too.  We've definitely gotten batches of plants that were labeled one thing, then turned out to be another.  A good example is we had for many years a sundew labeled Drosera graminifolia that we got from a major tissue culture nursery, only to find out after we had sold lots of them that they were actually D. spiralis.  You'll have to talk to the dealer whom you got it from about that.

Your plant does look very yellow.  It has that appearance that plants get sometimes when they are exposed to high temperatures in greenhouses, and I know that N. glabrata is a very high elevation plant.  It may need to be a little cooler.  Also, try watering it daily with cool water, and give it a weak orchid fertilizer about once every two weeks.  If using a powder, use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.  It should just be about 1/4 normal strength.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!