Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes problem

Growth point
Growth point  
Hey guys
I decided to move my nepenthes alata x ventricosa out side because I felt like it was not receiveing enough light. It was located right of a southern window. Now the plant hangs from an old swing set underneath a maple, where it receives three hours of direct sun in the afternoon (3 to 6). The first few days the plant began to wilt, probably because it was not acclimated to that much sun. Then some leaves turned brown, aswell as the stem in which the pitchers grow. I was a little worried that something was up, until I noticed an insane amount of new growth points on the vines. However no pitchers seem to grow yet just new points. Yesterday I read one some website of a guy growing his nepenthes outside and for the first few months the plant will look like trash. Is this a correct statement or should I change up the growing style. By the way the plant gets disstiled water, 50-50 mix and occasionally gets 30-30-30 orchid fertilizer.

Hi John,

What you've read is correct.  The leaves often get a little burn, but the new ones will be darker, stronger, and more brightly colored.  Even plants like cacti and Sarracenia will experience this if they've been indoors since their leaves have not been in strong UV light, and these plants love full sun.

Just give it time, and you should see some great looking pitchers.  Just be sure to move it back indoors when nights start getting into the 40's.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!