Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes ? question

Nepenthes ?
Nepenthes ?  

I got this Nepenthes from you guys back in March I think.  Its was labeled as Nepenthes ? .  I have a question about whether I should repot the plant into a new pot or treat the plant with fungicide. I noticed that there is some white fungicide growing on the soil surface.  I have attached a photo to this email.   it is the only plant in that area that has the mold on it.   

General growing Information
Water= distilled
light= On a window sill.  

Hi Weylin,

If you're wanting to have this plant in a bigger pot, this is a good opportunity to transplant it.  To minimize this mold in the future, do more top-watering of the pot.  It helps to keep fungal spores from settling on the soil.  There's also no harm in using a low-tox fungicide such as sulfur to prevent this.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!