Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia seeds possible hybrids?

Hi, I got my S. Alata and S. Flava a few days ago. The two came with a flower each; I know that all your sarracenia are grown out doors. So Iím curious to know if the seeds will turn out to be hybrids. Also if you don't mind the extra question. What will be the best time to sow them. I live in the Florida panhandle just an hour away from Splinter Hill Bog in fact!

Hi Jesus,

They will most likely be hybrids.  Unless we actually isolate plants, the bees are not the least bit picky about just going from flower to flower regardless of the species.

November is the best time to sow the seeds.  Since you're in the FL panhandle, you could just sow the seeds, then leave the pots outside for the winter.  You should see germinations sometime around March.  Just protect your pots from heavy rain so they don't get the seeds washed out.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!