Carnivorous Plants/soil mix

last summer ( about late July) I mixed up some carnivorous plant mix of equal parts peat moss and perlite for my temperate carnivorous plants, I made some extra ( about 3-4 gallons ) and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a garbage bag on top. i also rinsed it and squeezed out the water (using mineral free water) to take out built up minerals a few days ago. should it be fine to use or should I get new peat moss?

Hi Dillon,

It depends.  If the soil was stored dry it's fine.  If it was stored wet, it may have broken down.  Pick up a handful and smell it.  If it has a regular "peat moss smell" it's fine.  If it has a sulfury foul smell, then don't use it, mix up fresh media.  If it's broken down, it will often be lighter in color too along with the sulfur/rotten egg smell.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!