Carnivorous Plants/temerate drosera

do you guys have any podcasts,care sheets, ect.  on how to propagate temperate sundews/dewthreads from leaf cuttings?

Hi Dillon,

We don't but here's a pretty foolproof method.  Take newer leaves off of temperate sundews such as Dewthreads, D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia, and float them in a container of distilled water.  With D. filiformis types it helps to cut the leaf into 2 inch sections.  Put a transparent cover over the container and keep it in a bright area, but not in the sun.  Fluorescent lights work best.  In about 3-4 weeks they will start to develop little plantlets and roots.  At that point you can take them out of the water and plant them in some peat moss.

You should also be able to do a web search for taking sundew cuttings.  The Savage Garden also has a section on how to do Sundew cuttings.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!