Carnivorous Plants/Transplanting

I transplanted a sarracenia alata , flava and a pitcher plant called hummers hammer head in to clay pots and I'm planing in transplanting a sarracenia purpurea purpurea  and venus fly trap in clay pots too I wanted to know if it was ok to plant tem in clay pots

Hi Albert,

I don't recommend terracotta clay pots for Sarracenia since they can dry out so fast.  If you are really attentive to your watering, you can use them successfully, and the evaporation from the sides does a great job of cooling the soil.  They will however, get algae growing on the sides after a time, so you would need to scrub that off.  They will also crack during freezing weather.  Plastic and glazed ceramic pots are just much easier to use.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!