Carnivorous Plants/Venus Flytrap seeds

overall placement
overall placement  
Hi Sarracenia Northwest! About the first question about the venus flytraps grown in foreign conditions unfortunately most of them did not survive but only 2 plants. What I should of done is did what it says on the first volume of the DVD which is too acclimate it to lower humitdity and full sunlight. I wish I had the dvd sooner so I would have known but all your plants that I have bought from you are thriving.  Now for the question, I have recently bought flytrap seeds today and I'm curious to if they will need to go dormant since fall is about to approach or do I just keep them indoors and wait next year to let them go dormant next year. I have them in peat and perlite mix equal parts and did not sprinkle any soil on them since im scared of accidently burying and losing them, standing in half inch of water,  indoors in a north face window as I'm concerned about ants and birds stealing them( no sun). My first time sowing and trying to grow flytrap seeds. I have capensis, ordensis, and derbyensis. Wish me luck! And thank you.

Hi Alan,

Flytrap seedlings can go a season without dormancy.  I would spray the seedlings with a fungicide, however, like we show in the video.  There tends to be more mold spores indoors, and that can be a problem.  If you can find a location for them next year that will be cool in the winter, but not super cold, that would be a good location.  Older plants are easier to condition for a cold winter than seedlings.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!