Carnivorous Plants/Dana Delight Bloom

Dana Delight Bloom
Dana Delight Bloom  

Looking up at the bloom
Looking up at the bloo  
My Dana Delight bloomed this year for the first time.   The bloom has almost run it's course.   When should I cut it?   Are there seeds in it?   Anything else you can tell me about the blooms?

Hi Troy,

You have a nice big healthy plant, so there's no need to cut the flower off.  I only cut flowers off if the plant has recently been divided.  In that situation the flower will significantly stunt the plant as it tries to recover.  

Flowers produced in the late summer like this seldom if ever produce seeds.  You usually only see seeds from early summer/late spring flowers.  In order for a flower to produce seed they have to be cross-pollinated with pollen from a different flower, preferably from a different plant.  Here's a video we did on this subject.  If you have two different plants in bloom at the same time, bees will often pollinate flowers too.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!