Carnivorous Plants/Drosera intermedia

Cp garden
Cp garden  
QUESTION: I'm thinking in purchasing a drosera intermedia and placing it outside next to my Venus frytraps and sarracenia but I read that they prefer there water to cover there pots 3/4 of the way up and since I use one big water container for all my sarracenias and Venus flytraps and the water there isn't no we're near half way up there pots so I would like to know if its really necessary to cover the drosera internedias pot 3/4 way up with water to find a separate container for my drosera

ANSWER: Hi Albert,

D. intermedia will grow just fine without the high water table.  The will just be a bit smaller.  I recommend a plastic pot for them, however, since they tend to be shallow rooted, and could dry out faster than your Sarracenia.

Are you doing the terracotta pots to help keep roots cool for the Sarracenia?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: What do you mean by drying out faster than sarracenia and yes I live in a very hot desert like climate and I'm hoping that the clay pot will work as good insulators for my sarracenia in the hot summer months

Hi Albert,

Let's suppose by accident you don't get to water for a day or two, for whatever reason, pots begin to dry.  Sarracenia have some water storage in their rhizome, so they will tolerate a short period of drier soil.  Same with Venus flytraps.  Drosera have no such ability in their tiny roots.  Terracotta pots will pull water out of the pots when the water reservoir goes dry.  In that situation, which happens all the time to growers, you would loose the sundew, but not the pitcher plants.  Also, the cooling effect is less crucial to sundews since they grow right at the soil surface; they are going to be hot.  Just use a white or light colored pot as to not increase the temperature.  You can use a terracotta pot quite successfully, but this is what my recommendation is based on.

Terracotta pots don't insulate, but provide evaporative cooling.  They are very helpful in hot, dry climates.  If you get an infra-red thermometer (example:, and get a reading on the side of a wet terracotta pot, you'll see a dramatic difference compared to a regular pot.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!