Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes? possible root rot?

Nepenthes ?
Nepenthes ?  

nepenthes ?
nepenthes ?  

I got this  plant a while back a while. It is the nepenthes that you had no idea what they were.  I was wondering if this plant is suffering from root rot or not.  I have repotted this plant in a new soil this summer.  I have attached some pictures of the plant.  I have also included some general growing information.  Please let me know if there is anything else you might need.

Grow info:

Water:  Distilled.
Sunlight:  40 watts CFL tubes.  
Hours of sunlight: 14 hours

Weylin Callery

Hi Weylin,

As long as you're not leaving the pot of this plant sitting in water, it's hard to say what the problem is without knowing more about the species.  From the appearance, this look like a time when keeping the plant in higher humidity would be appropriate.  If it is having root problems from the transplant, doing that will help it recover by cutting down transpiration.  A weak fertilizer could help also.

The appearance of the leaves makes this plant look like it might be an N. albo-marginata hybrid.  If it is, it likes warm temperatures and higher humidity.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!