Carnivorous Plants/What next....

Baby pitchers
Baby pitchers  
I have two Dana Delight's, planted in 6 inch pots.  This year, one sprouted a flower.   My question is this.   I noticed that they have outgrown their pots because there are roots growing out the bottom, and the top is covered with the rhizome.   It has started putting out very small pitchers as well as the large ones.

Should I re-pot into bigger pots? Should I split them somehow and re-plant each piece? What do you recommended.   They are about 4 years old.  How big will they grow?

Hi Troy,

You could easily go one more year in this pot.  The plant isn't crowded yet.  Going to a bigger pot is fine, however, if you're just wanting to put it in a larger pot.  Sarracenia do fine with over-potting.  They will just grow into it.  Don't do any division at this time of the year.  That should only be done in the spring.  We have detailed information in our volume #1 DVD on repotting, dividing rhizomes and general care.  We show you in a hands-on manner how to care for your plants.

Daina's Delight tends to max out at about 18 inches.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!