Carnivorous Plants/Plant identification

Mystery Sundew
Mystery Sundew  
Over the last several weeks in South Carolina, we have had unseasonable rainfall with regional flooding (7.83 inches in 17 days). The excess moisture has left many of my VFTs in slower draining media (e.g., long-fibered sphagnum) looking rather wimpy.

The silver lining to my waterlogged flytraps was the unexpected emergence of a sundew in one of my growing pots. Iím not sure where this Drosera came from, though I suspect it was in the moss I ordered for repotting earlier this spring.

Since I tend to only grow sarracenia and flytraps in my garden, I have a few questions:

What type of sundew is this? Iíve seen several similar plants in my search, but I canít tell which specific variety I have.

Should I separate the sundew from the rest of the plants in the pot? Presuming the monsoon season will be coming to an end, I plan on resuming my usual, less-than-flood-stage environment, for my VFTs (tray method). Since Drosera tend to prefer soaked conditions, would it be a problem to leave them in with the VFTs, or should I put it in a different pot with more moisture?

Drosera capillaris "Pink Sundew"
Drosera capillaris "Pi  
Hi Robert,

Chances are if you've ordered plants from nurseries, this is a Drosera spatulata which spreads seed easily in greenhouses.  The most common forms are tropical.

The other possibility, since you are in South Carolina, is that it is one of your native Drosera capillaris.  This is a pretty ubiquitous sundew in the south, and where there is appropriate habitat, it is very common.  It's not at all unusual to see these in ditches near the coast.  They also spread seed easily.  It tends to be a seasonal annual.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!