Carnivorous Plants/Powdery Mold/mildew?

Hi, i have a small collection of sarracenia that i grow outdoors in Greensboro NC.  I use the tray watering method.  Many of my plants are in sphag/peat, others are in mixes depending on who i got them from.  I have recently noticed some white patchy areas on the pitchers of two of my plants ... an S. Leuco, and a hybrid plant that i got from UNCC.  I think its powdery mold/mildew but i'm not certain. It doesn't appear to be down in the crown of the plant just on the pitchers themselves... i have seen a mealy bug or two here and there but i just pick them off and have never seen more than one or two.  Any ideas on what it is and what I should do to protect my plants?  

Hi Chad,

It is.  If you have vegetable or flowers you've probably dealt with this stuff.  I've never actually seen it on Sarracenia, which is odd here since it seems to attack everything else in the Pacific Northwest, but your higher humidity might support it.

Making sure you're getting good air circulation and light penetration will help.  I would also clip off affected leaves.  Also, try to treat or eliminate any other plants in the area (non-carnivorous)that might be affected and acting as carriers.  In the late evening, spray your plants with a sulfur based fungicide such as Safer, but be sure to follow label directions.  For powdery mildew most university sources recommend not using other chemical or systemic fungicides since this fungus will build resistance to it quickly.  Sulfur will prevent spread, but it won't cure.  Also, be sure not to spray sulfur fungicides in the heat of the day or can cause some plant damage.

Let me know how it goes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!