Carnivorous Plants/S. rubra var. jonesii seed pods

I have some S. rubra var. jonesii that flowered well for me this spring so I decided to hand pollinate the flowers. All of the plants that sent up flowers are genetically different so I should get some good quality seeds later this fall. My question to you big should jonesii seed pods be? I have noticed on mine that they are a little on the small it normal for this species to produce small seed pods?

Thank you for your time and attention regarding my inquires.

Kind regards,

Hi Derick,

Since jonesii flowers are a bit small anyway, the seedpods tend to be small, and their seeds are a little smaller.  What I look for is the shape of the pod.  If the pod is a bit narrow, then it seldom has seeds.  If the look nice and round, sort of "plump" then they usually have seeds.  S. rubra jonesii tends to set seed easily.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!