Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Deformity

Brown Leaves
Brown Leaves  

Curled Leaf
Curled Leaf  
Sarracenia Northwest,
I have a Sarracenia Flava var Cuprea that I have been growing for around 3-4 months. One leaf is very deformed, almost curling, and many browning pitchers. I usually bring the plant inside when it is very windy or very rainy outside. I live in Zone 5 and my plant grows on the East side of my house. It usually gets 6+ hours of direct sun. the soil is 1 part peat 1 part perlite. it is watered by the tray method with RO.I am definitely going to need some help.

Sarracenia flava in Brunswick County, NC
Sarracenia flava in Br  
Hi Logan,

Your S. flava looks pretty much as they always do for this time of year.  S. flava is and early season Sarracenia and pitchers start to brown this time of year and are replaced by phyllodia, non-carnivorous leaves.  Your curly leaf is one of those.  Sometimes the plant will grow ones that start looking like a pitcher, then turn into a phyllodia.  All of this is part of the normal seasonal cycle.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!