Carnivorous Plants/sarracenia leaf cuttings

Hi! I don't know if this is anything you guys have tries out before but I wanted to try something today. I took two leaf pullings from my sarracenia purpurea and made sure there was still the white tip on the end of the pulling where it came off from the rizome. I have the two pullings sitting a cup of distilled water hoping that they will produce roots. Do you know if sarracenia purpurea can be successfully propagated this way? If so am I doing it correctly so far, how long should I wait til I see roots emerge?

Hi Victor,

Both S. purpurea and S. psittacina can be propagated by leaf pullings.  I've tried it on a few occasions and got fairly mediocre results.  Spring is definitely the best time to try it when the plants are going into the growing season.

What you're doing is fine.  Keep the pullings in bright light, but not avoid super hot sun.  If they strike you should see some progress in about 2 months.  Plantlets will be small and slow growing at first.  

Here's more information:  Scroll down the page to the article on Sarracenia leaf pullings.  You can download the article as a pdf.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!