Carnivorous Plants/trimming brown or deformed leaves

Hello, I have several varieties of sarracenia and a few flytrap plants.  I have had them since last summer.  I live in Chicago, Il (zone 5).  They are kept in 5 inch pots sitting in trays watered with rain barrel water, and are in the one spot in my yard that receives 8+ hours of direct sunlight each day.  They are kept in 50/50 peat moss/pearl lite.  They are not quite as tall as they were last year, but I'm thinking that is from the cooler summer we've had and the fact that they are in 5" pots now which also would make them cooler.
    Earlier this summer, I had a problem with aphids, which I treated with a systemic insecticide spray (Bayer Rose and Flower).  My question is should I remove the twisted/deformed leaves since they have new leaves now.  Also, should I remove the old leaves where they are turning brown near the top from being full of insects(sarracenia) and if I do remove, should I remove the whole leaf or just the brown part?

Hi Brian,

Go ahead and remove both the brown leaves and deformed ones.  I usually remove the whole leaf.  If you have pitcher leaves on species such as S. flava and S. oreophila that are early season growers there's some benefit to leaving the normal pitchers until winter since they may still be digesting insects in the bottom even though the tops are browning.  I always remove pitchers from the previous season, however even if there's still a little green.  What this does is open up the rhizome to more sun so that you get better formed leaves in a new season.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!