Carnivorous Plants/Venus Fly Trap

Hello, how are you? Recently I bought a large venus fly trap 8not from you), with traps about 5cmīs from side to side. I transplanted it into a terrarium which i keep by the side of a sunny window. Since I planted the plant the traps that itīs producing are not getting the red color and are getting smaller. There is also a flower coming up. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Hi Luis,

I'm going to give you some homework, since essentially your asking, "How do I grow a Venus Flytrap correctly".  Here's our page on growing Venus flytraps:  Here's another good care guide:  Our volume #1 also good detailed instructions on how to rescue plants from terrariums:

After you've made the changes you need, to feel free to visit us back here at Allexperts for additional questions.  I'll be back on August 19th from vacation.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!