Carnivorous Plants/Fungus gnat larve

Several days ago, I've found some fungus gnat larve on my north american pitcher plants. Today, I figured out how to treat that. I watered the soil with a pyrethrum (diluted with water). Should I do that over again within a few days or is it sufficient?

Thank you in advance. Greetings from Belgium.

Yours faithfully

p.s.: I like the monthly podcast! Keep on!

ANSWER: Hi Joachim,

Pyrethrins works fine, but here's a better approach for fungus gnats that will not harm non-target insects.  Use BTi dunks.  They are usually sold as rings or granules that you put in the water to kill mosquito larvae.  They release a bacterial spore into the water.  It just happens that fungus gnats and mosquitos are closely related, so it kills fungus gnat larvae too.  It's very safe for the plants, people, animals, and only harms larvae of Dipteran insects.  I'm not sure what's available in Belgium, but here's an example:

Glad you like the podcasts!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Hello Sarracenia Northwest,

I couldn't find a BTi product in Belgium, so I've ordered it from Germany ( I've dissolved a piece of a pellet in rain water and watered the plants, but it seems that it isn't working 100%. Now, I'm considering to add a top layer of fine lava stone to each plant to solve the issue. Should I rinse the lava before using it? Hopefully this will do the trick.

Thank you in advance!

Greetings, Joachim

It takes time for the bacteria to work.  It doesn't work all of a sudden, like an insecticide.  Typically what you'll see is a gradual decline in the fungus gnat population, from several weeks to a couple months.

With pyrethrin, it should also be reapplied every 5-10 days until you're satisfied that the infestation is eradicated.  As always, use the pyrethrin at the strength recommended by the manufacturer.  If you dilute it, you weaken it's ability to kill the insect AND you risk creating gnats that are immune to the insecticide.  

Lava rocks may work temporarily.  I just haven't seen it to be a long term solution.  

There is no single magic bullet that gets rid of pests.  Typically it's something that you have to monitor and treat as they occur.  Insecticides offer quicker results.  BTi offers a reasonable long-term solution that can be incorporated with your water system.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!