Carnivorous Plants/Heliamphora and cephalotus humidity hardening.

I have recently acquired a heliamphora Minor and a cephalotus hummers  giant
They have been previously grown in high humidity 80+ %
I want to acclimate them both to my normal house hold humidity (50%) if  possible
Could you tell me the best way to do this without killing them?
The heli will be grown in a 40 gallon tank along with the ceph.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Cory,

If you're going to have them in a tank, it's super easy.  Just put a partial cover over your tank.  With both of these I've had them in aquarium type tanks with about 3/4 of the top covered.  Definitely leave some opening since you need some ventilation.  This will hold your humidity around 60-70%.  If you want to help them adjust to lower humidity, over the course of a couple weeks gradually open the cover more.  I've found that Cephalotus is better with lower humidity long-term since they can be prone to powdery mildew.  Most Heliamphora like the humidity elevated some, but once adapted, 50% is fine.  Both plants like cool nights.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Will the tray method be suitable for the heliamphora at the lower humidity levels?

Hi Cory,

Watering Heliamphora on the tray system is fine, but only leave a little water in their tray, and continue to top-water them.  They don't like to sit in water for long periods.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!