Carnivorous Plants/lighting for neps

hi,I have a n.gentle and n.ventrata and would like to know if a 23 watt cfl with 1600 lumenes would be enough to encourage pitchering  

p.s I don't have a window that supplies enough light for them

Hi Dylan,

For a small plant it would be fine, but both of these plants get big, so it will be difficult with a CFL to provide efficient light coverage.  You'll get much more "bang for the buck" if you go with a two-tube shoplight type fixture with Cool-White or Daylight type tubes.  Either T-12 or T-8's are fine.  Long fluorescent tubes run cooler, so you can get the plants closer, and they give much more light coverage.  A typical T-12 Cool-White 40 watt tube is 3,100 lumens.

If you go with the CFL for now be sure and use one that is 6,500K (Daylight) color temperature.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!