Carnivorous Plants/N. truncata

n. truncata
n. truncata  
My plant has developed small leaves with spots which are not normal. Can you tell me why this is happening and a possible cure?

Based on your photo, I suspect your plant has thrips, a very small pest that causes that type of leaf deformation.  The critters are very tiny, and sometimes you need a magnifying glass to see them.  Some varieties of Nepenthes are prone to them, and truncata is one of them.

Spray your plant with a systemic insecticide.  You can use a topical insecticide.  But because thrips are very small and can hide in small spaces, topical insecticides may not always reach them.  This is why we recommend using a systemic.  If you choose to use a topical insecticide, you will need to coat the leaves heavily and reapply every 10 days.  

The leaf damage is permanent, but after spraying your plant, the new growth will look normal again.  For information about using insecticides, watch our video podcast on the topic.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!