Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes

What nepenthes is this? i think it is a nepenthes fusca.

That's Nepenthes Miranda, a very common hybrid found in cultivation.  The actual parentage is Nepenthes maxima x (northiana x maxima).  (Fusca and maxima are closely related, but fusca's pitchers are slightly smaller and slightly fuzzy.  Your plant has more characteristics that are consistent with Miranda.)

This hybrid produces very large pitchers and grows well as a houseplant.  Consider placing your plant in an area where the leaves can get several hours of direct sunlight.  With it being high in the window and your awnings, the plant looks very shaded.  This plant definitely needs a lot of sunlight.

For more information about growing Nepenthes, read our care guide on our main website.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!