Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Pitcher Size Decrease

Big Pitcher
Big Pitcher  

Smaller Pitcher
Smaller Pitcher  
I have a nepenthes Spathulata x (maxima x (Tobiaca x Talangensis)). When I bought it from Leilani Nepenthes, it had a pitcher, around 7ish inches tall. I then moved the plant to a windowsill, and the next pitcher was only 4 inches. Here in Chicago, we have very consistent temperatures during the summer, so the temperature never drops at night, and I don't know how to make it do so. I water it when the top of the soil loses moisture. Humidity is around 40%. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks, ~Logan.

Unless you have a greenhouse to stabilize the growing conditions, you may need to accept slightly smaller pitchers.  I know that Leilani Nepenthes ships their plants from a greenhouse in Colorado.  I happen to know the growing conditions of the greenhouse, and they use misters and fans to keep the humidity and temperature as consistent as possible.  Outside of that type of environment, plants adapt by producing more cuticle, a waxy layer that reduces transpiration, moisture loss through the leaves.  This also affects leaf and pitcher size.

You're not doing anything wrong.  That type of change in growth would happen to us too.  In our greenhouse, we grow plants without misters because we want to ensure plants are well acclimated to grow in homes without any special setup.  The fact that you got a new healthy pitcher means that your plant is happy with its current conditions.  It's uniformly shaped and is brightly colored.  Your growing conditions seem perfectly fine and might be as good as it'll get without resorting to expensive grow chambers.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!