Carnivorous Plants/Artificial light vs. south-facing bay window.

I am in Portland, Oregon so the sun is relatively rare.
I was wondering what might be more beneficial, growing my nepenthes under artificial light or by my south-facing bay window? I currently have them under artificial light right now and they seem to be doing great.
There's also the option of doing both but I don't want to annoy the neighbors with the light.

I have :

Maxima x Aristolochioides
Ventricosa x Aristolochioides
Thorelii x Aristolochioides
(Spectabilis x Ventricosa) x Aristolochioides
Pectinata (?)

Not sure which species might not do too well in full Portland sun either (which decimated my Plumeria Obtusa...somehow....probably the sun's angle.)

Thank you very much!

Hi Nanthawat,

I would vote for using the combination if you can work out the timer so it doesn't bother neighbors.  I've gotten excellent results using the combination of ambient window light with artificial light.  However, if you're happy with the growth your getting with just artificial light, that's fine.

If you go for the window, you can often turn off the artificial light once our dry season comes since you'll have plenty of sun.  I wouldn't worry too much about plants burning since the change of the season will be pretty gradual.  If in June you see some problems, move the Maxima and maxima hybrids toward the front, since they love sun, and some of the other behind them.

That's curious about your Plumeria obtusa.  I would bet it had to do with sudden changes, or the way it was getting sun.  I see plenty of that species here in Hawaii, and they are definitely full sun plants.  We put our Mexican plumeria outside every summer in Oregon, and we get a little initial leaf burn, but once it gets through that, it produces normal foliage.  It's the same issue that everyone who's every bought a Venus Flytrap in a death cube faced reinforcing the myth that flytraps don't like full sun.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!